POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Endless quest : Endless quest Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  Endless quest
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Jan 2010 10:27:24
Message: <4b4b435c@news.povray.org>
Christmas is over, 2010 is here, and it's time to move my jobsearch forward.

As I've written previously a few times, I'm giving up on trying to get
hired as a programmer. (It's not like I can go work for Google writing
in Haskell...) Instead, I'm going to try to get hired as a system
administrator. At least that way I can say "hey, I've been doing this
exact job for the last 7 years continuously" rather than "well, I could
_probably_ learn this..."

The first task, then, is to adjust my CV. I wrote it to try to
demonstrate what an awesome programmer I am; most of it is completely
irrelevant if I'm not trying to be a programmer any more. So in summary,
I've just spent an hour working on my CV, and it's now about half the
length it was before. o_O

The trouble is, when I'm trying to be a programmer, I can say "hey,
dude! I know Pascal, Prolog, Java, JavaScript, Smalltalk, Tcl, Haskell,
Eiffel, pick me! Pick me! I've learned all about data compression,
cryptography and cryptanalysis, digital signal processing, database
theory, logic design, error-correcting codes, binary data
representation, I know stuff about stuff! Pick me!!"

...all of which has absolutely nothing to do with just keeping a few
servers running. So having just deleted all that stuff off my CV, it
looks a tad bare now. :-/

I suppose now I need to come up with a bunch of keywords to fill my CV
with. Stuff like "Active Directory" and "BackupExec" and "Oracle" and
"Ethernet". But then my CV ends up just being a soup of keywords.
Besides, if I just sit there and spew fourth a long list of technical
terms, that just proves that I'm good at looking up technobabble. The
most likely response is going to be "yeah? prove it."

Of course, assuming I ever get my CV sorted out, the next task is to
find somewhere to stick it... but I'll worry about that when I get to
it. I have at least got one reference to offer people now...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/